- Contact Us
A childs success STARTS AT HOME
FAMILY FRIENDLY PRACTICES
Whether large, small or somewhere in between, businesses have many opportunities to support parents in the workplace. By doing so, be prepared for happier, healthier, and less stressed employees which increases productivity and retention for your business - improving your bottom line!
OFFER THE BEST POSSIBLE BENEFITS
- Flexible scheduling
- Job sharing, part-time options
- Parental or guardian leave
- Use of sick leave for family illness
- Dependent care spending assistance plan
- Flexible benefit plans/accounts (FSA)
- Adoption benefits/adoption leave
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits
- Pay full health benefits to those on parental leave
- Allow the use of sick time to care for sick children
PROVIDE SCHOOL READINESS INFO
Employers can help educate their parents about school readiness.
- Use bulletin boards, newsletters, and emails to share resources or parenting tips.
- Offer a free parenting class for employees.
- Invite experts to speak to employees about parenting and child development topics.
- Organize an office event for the entire family.
- Form a parent support/education group at work.
PROJECT SPOTLIGHTMUSEUM WITHOUT WALLS
Smart Start Payne County, located in Stillwater, worked with a group of parents to rejuvenate an organization whose mission was to bring a children’s museum to Stillwater but were challenged by lack of interest and financial support. The local Smart Start worked with the board and provided technical assistance to volunteers. As a result, the Stillwater Children’s Museum is operating a Museum Without Walls program. With this partnership, hands-on educational programming has been provided to area public schools, child care sites, and community events.
DEVELOP FAMILY FRIENDLY SPACES
Family Resource Rooms / Set aside a room or area in your office as a resource space for families filled with parenting information, parent resources, pamphlets, brochures, and educational material for check-out. The room could be open during business hours but perhaps one day a week it could be staffed for employee questions.
On-Site Child Care / Some larger businesses choose to offer on-site child care for their employees. Not only is this a major incentive in a competitive job market, it reduces absenteeism and child care worries among employees.
Nursing/Lactation Room / Upon returning to work, moms are sometimes forced to stop nursing due to lack of flexibility or space at their office. Breastfeeding mothers may need time and space during the work day for nursing. It doesn't take much to provide a nursing room for mothers. Some employers even provide a separate refrigerator for breast milk. Breastfeeding is healthy for both mom and baby!